Wednesday, June 12, 2013

PledgeMusic Campaign: Rabbit Runs A Destiny




Hey y'all-

These are crazy times we live in, my friends. Everyone is trying to raise money for something or someone. And I struggle with this fundraising effort because there are so any people out there with such dire needs. Part of what I have learned through this PledgeMusic campaign is that if you don’t hit your goal, you don’t get any of the funds, and the people who have pledged out of love and belief, they don’t get the special items or experiences they pledged for.

And with Pledge, I can give 10% OVER my goal to the charity they partner with. I will tell you this, even if I JUST hit my goal, I will still be giving a percentage to Pablove Foundation. This is why I chose PledgeMusic. This is where my heart is and if you do not know that then you truly do not know me.

In 22 years of making music as a professional, and I use that term loosely, I have only paid a few bills with money made from releasing albums. If I made music to make money I would have quit a long time ago. I am telling you all of this so you understand where my heart is and maybe understand what drives me. I love and cherish the friends I have made from making music and sharing it with the world. In this day and age it means my friendships are growing around the world, all from a house in East Lake, Birmingham Alabama, a city and community I am honored to be a part of.

I am very fortunate that I get to live a completely creative life. Just like any other way of life there are the ups and downs that come with it. When I started working on this album I chose to make many sacrifices. They do not seem like sacrifices to me, but to others they are and many people would tell me maybe it’s time I do something else. I want to dive into all of the experiences of the last year, but I am not sure that can be fit into one blog post.

I will say during the writing, recording and releasing of this record I have broken bones, been deathly ill, hospitalized multiple times, lost almost all of my income, almost lost my family, lost some friends, and even came close to losing my home a few times. We all have those same struggles, some folks’ difficulties are different than others. But at the core we all experience some type of struggle and loss whether it is internal or on the outside. And I just want to say that my wife has been in full support of this choice that I made, that we made. We consider ourselves BLESSED to live creative lives with freedom and joy, and it’s a matter of overcoming the struggles and fear of “What If…”

Even with all the storms I rode during this album and season of my life I have gained so much more than I have lost, the highs have been greater than the lows, I’ve learned more, worked harder, gotten happier, forged close friendships for life, gotten some great cuts from my barber Bob Blevins. You see where I am going. Life is good even in the midst of struggle and strife. My problems are first world problems. Hell the fact I get to make music and art to share with all you folks is incredible and it is why I continue to do so no matter what.

Thank you so much for your help so far and for being great fans, friends, family.


I believe we can do it. I believe with everyone helping we can go well beyond that and raise more money for Pablove. Hope you have a beautiful day and enjoy this iPhone footage from the recent album release show in Birmingham, Alabama at the Bottletree Cafe.

Much Love,
Duq  

Copyright © 2013 Duquette Johnston, All rights reserved.
You're a fan of Duquette Johnston and/or his previous side-projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment