Wednesday, February 22, 2012

...and the lawyers Album Review

Thanks to …and the lawyers, a band in Montgomery, AL, I will never be able to picture a penguin eating ice cream the same way ever again.

To understand the band’s first album, ‘WWBMJD?’ you must first throw out any preconceived notions of music that might have been thrust upon you by mainstream media. This album is not something you would load onto your iPod and expect to sing along to. Well, I suppose if you were really dedicated you could try, but that’s really not the point. ‘WWBMJD?’ is a spoken word album, and the words really aren’t important. For most of the album, you really have to strain to hear what’s being said, but again, that really isn’t the point.

What’s important is the music. The spoken stream of consciousness (what better way to describe the “lyrics” of the songs?) blends well with the heavy guitar riffs and the almost hypnotic drum beats. This album feels as though it would be best as a visual experience as well as an auditory one. Set your iTunes to display the visualizer, set it to full screen, sit back, and enjoy! This music clings to the subconscious, leaving the brain to wonder what the hell is going on. And while it’s trying to figure that out, you’re left with an experience most music won’t leave you with. I imagine the experience might be different for others. For me, I want to play this while I sleep and see what type of dreams it would give me. While listening to it, I am drawn, not to the music, but into the experience of the music.

Interestingly enough, though I can’t really think of any other bands with the same sound (though I do agree that it’s (closest to) punk rock), this album is actually exactly what I would expect from a band called …and the lawyers. It’s quirky, unique, fun, with both moments to chuckle or raise an eyebrow and ask what the hell was that? The album’s not for everyone, but then, what album is? Except for maybe Adele’s ’21′, but I’m sure somewhere there’s someone who doesn’t like that album. But the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. As an album, the songs work really well together. And, as stated above, this really is a musical experience.

In any case, if you want to know why ice cream penguins are ruined for me, your only choice is to buy the album. ‘WWBMJD?’ will be released on February 25th. If you’re in Montgomery, be sure to come out to Head on the Door on Vaughn Rd. They’ll be playing with Dirty Lungs for their CD release show!

No comments:

Post a Comment